Sunday, December 16, 2018

All Ready To Be Posted!


This quilt or table runner actually, was meant for a birthday present for my DIL in Australia, but her birthday was on the 11th, and I never quite got it finished, so now its a Christmas present!


I had alot of  fun designing this quilt, after seeing a few Dresden Plates on Pintrest.  I found a wedge ruler  I had in my collection, and just strip pieced my fabrics and went from there having no idea how it would turn out.





As it is an 18 degree ruler my plates turned out rather large, and I was worried it would be too large for her table, but it fits mine, so should be OK. 

Then I thought one plate would get hidden by a vase or bowl, so had to make three. Two would be wrong! :-)




All fabrics were from my stash and I had some yardage of white, so all worked well.
I managed my very simple machine quilting, by ditch stitching all the blades, then big stitch hand quilting every second blade and the circle.



I machine stitched about 1/2" out from the edges of the blades then did some free motion quilting.




 I decided that white would be better for the binding. I usually scrap piece my bindings, but as the plates were so close to the edge of my miss-cut ( a little too small) squares, I thought scrappy bindings would detract.




Thanks for dropping by


http://www.susannasquilts.blogspot.com

8 comments:

Barb H said...

Very nice piece! I really like all the colors against the white background.

Gretchen Weaver said...

How lovely, she'll love it!

Meryl said...

Really lovely gift, I certainly would like to be the recipient.

FlourishingPalms said...

This runner turned out beautifully, Sue! First... those fabrics! Yummy, bright colors, which I always prefer too. And your quilting is just right. Straight lines, stipple, and a little hand quilting and you've got the best of every option in the piece. Your friend will love this. Keep up the great work!

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

Hi Sue. It looks great! Nice and colourful, just how I like things to be. I'm sure your daughter in law will love it. Thank you for linking up with my Peacock Party!

Connie said...

Sue, I am so happy to have found your blog. You took a chance on how this would turn out and hit the jack-pot. It is amazing! My favorite quilts are those made from scraps and 50 or more fabrics . . . they are just so filled with charm and seem magical to me. So cozy and intriguing. I am your newest follower. I know that I can learn a lot from following your blog and hopefully bring myself up a bit as a better quilter.
My husband and I are experiencing a shut-in Christmas with the flu-bug, but your blog has truly brightened my day.
So happy to meet you,
Connie :)

Luv 2 Sew Things said...

Gorgeous! A really fabulous design! Love it!!

cityquilter grace said...

omigosh...that is beautiful!