Thursday, May 9, 2019

Scraps at Retreat

One of my annual retreats was coming up fast, but I only had really large quilts in the final stages of completion, so had to frantically look for something I could mindlessly piece along with chattering, laughing and of course eating and drinking. I had a couple of string piecing jobs on the go, so got into it!






 One of my friends laughing said why are you bringing the phone book to retreat? I explained to stitch my scraps onto.



Another friend said, I don't want to be rude, but why are you stitching onto paper, and not just sewing strips together. Anyhow after all this VERY helpful input ...haha...I decided to piece some blocks just by sewing them together and using my 6 1/2" ruler squared them up.  Just as easy as they are only short pieces! 

Back home and a few more added.

 I'm not sure what colour to use in the setting triangles. I have some yardage, but not the right colour, so will have to mull it over. 

I'm hoping to have this finished in time to take to one of my lovely nieces. 

By the way, the bins looked the same when I bought them back home!

Thanks for dropping by
 

https://www.susannasquilts.blogspot.com

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

:) I never use paper either and just sew the strips together and square them up - you got a lot done at your retreat!! Love the look of this scrappy quilt

Kyle said...

Love all those strings strung together. I've done it both ways, but mostly without. Funny how the bins never seem to get empty.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I agree, when you're sewing straight strips, no backing is the way to go! Lovely blocks and doesn't it feel good to make something from fabrics you already have? Happy Stitching!

cityquilter grace said...

simply gorgeous blocks..have a tote full of 1.5" strips....thanks for the inspiration!

Michelle said...

That is just awesome! There is something so warm and appealing about scrappy quilts. They are my favorite.

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

I know what you mean about mindless sewing at retreats! I like to take hand quilting because I can't go wrong there, but others hassle me for not bringing my machine. Like you, I like to have time to talk and prefer to do the serious stitching at home. Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

Anonymous said...

Love strippy quilts - perfect ‘mindless’ sewing!