I am embarrassed to see the date on this!
I laid it out on the floor and realised straight away, why it had been put to one side. It wasn’t laying flat, which means my seams were out somewhat, and in a medallion quilt this just doesn’t work.
At first I thought …ah it’ll quilt out, but it really bugged me to the point that I had to undo and resew!
Unfortunately I could see the problem was at least 3 borders back!!
This wasn’t the worst of it, but it was the only photo I took. So, I undid it back to the black border!
So, undo it I did!
After 5 days of unpicking, and remeasuring and resewing I am up to here….which is where I was before I started.
In doing this exercise I realised what the problem was…..2 different sewing machines, plus me doing a scant 1/4”seam instead of a regular 1/4”seam. Most of my seams were about 1/16th of an inch too small, and on a border like the zigzag border that had 19 seams per row, that made a difference of over 1”.
On any quilt this wouldn’t have been a problem with me sewing the whole quilt, but a Medallion quilt each border has to fit!!
Now to measure and fit the last 2 borders.
All done, but I could only manage to photograph 1/4 of the quilt as its quite large, and after laying it on the floor ( we had to shift a blanket box to get enough room) to measure and remeasure every seam and ending up with threads for Africa all over the carpet, I wasn’t going through all that again!
DH was very good and didn’t comment once about all the threads that were on the floor for about 5 days, but once I’d vacumned ( my most DISliked job) I decided 1/4 of the quilt was enough to show! Haha!
She's now off to my long arm quilter to be basted, so I can practise my domestic machine quilting on this quilt. Wish me luck. :-)
Thanks for dropping by