Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Life is Ticking Along

There seems to be a run on new babies in our family. My sister's 3rd great grandchild arrived, and is a lovely healthy little girl.  I used some of my pastels, of which I don't have many, and made her a cot quilt.



  It measures approx. 40" x 48"


I love making these scrappy backs, which uses up more of the stash and orphan blocks.

Sorry about the photo quality, and although this quilt hadn't been folded long, it seems to have kept the fold line.

The local quilt group I am in makes cushions for the Heart patients at the city hospital. These 14" cushions are held against the chest when they have to cough after surgery. They get to take them home and use them under their seat belt in the car.
I managed to make 8 from my stash. Obviously they have to have inserts.

My friend and neighbor and walking mate for 15 years has just moved to another town which is great for them, but not for me. :-(
I wanted to give her a quilt, for her bed, and decided 30's stars was the one.



She had packed up most of the house, but I wanted a photo of it on her bed.

I have just finished piecing and appliqueing   'Don't Leaf Me' by Wendy Williams
I did this using Invisible machine appliqueing for the stems and leaves, and hand applique for the felt flowers. 




Thanks everyone for dropping by.

Would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment. 😉💓

http://susannasquilts.blogspot.com








12 comments:

FlourishingPalms said...

That pastel cot quilt is so pretty, Sue! Lovely colors, and so practical, especially with that pieced backing. It must feel good to have used stashed fabrics for this one. I wonder that the fold line that's showing is because you've used cotton batting. Cotton "remembers" better than polyester or wool. I've never heard of making cushions for heart patients, but I can imagine how well they're used after surgery - a softer way to protect the chest. How nice of you to make eight of them to donate! As for the quilt you gifted to your friend... it's beautiful! It looks very special, and is certainly a gift from the heart. No doubt you'll miss your friend, and I empathize with you. I'm hoping you're still able to be among friends. Appreciate that, because you may live in the only country in the world that can do so!

Gretchen Weaver said...

The baby quilt is very cute. Love the stars quilt. I remember when my dad had heart surgery he was given a pillow to use when he coughed. Happy stitching!

Luv 2 Sew Things said...

You have been very productive as usual Sue. Lovely baby quilt with fabulous pieced background and I just love the 1930's stars quilt. Such a lucky friend & baby getting those lovely quilts.
The Heart Cushions are neat, what a thoughtful donation and a great idea.
"Don't Leaf Me" looks like it was a fun project, you have inspired me 😉😊

Pip said...

I love both the front and back of the baby quilt Sue, the colours and fabrics are lovely. We made similar cushions for breast cancer surgery patients at our last quilt show (gosh that seems so long ago now) they are greatly appreciated.

Mystic Quilter said...

Don't Leaf Me is a sumptuous looking quilt!! You're brave with all the applique involved and I love your border fabric. Nice soft colours for the baby quilt and the heart pillows are a wonderful idea.

audrey said...

The baby quilt is wonderful! Love that the back looks just as great as the front.:) Your fabric in the applique leaves is lovely! Great choices!:)

chrisknits said...

Wow, what a lovely gift to your friend. It will remind her of you every day. And that leaf quilt is just stunning!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

It's a beautiful baby quilt with really pretty colours. Wendy William's designs are so wonderful and I adore how your project has come along. It's an absolutely stunner.

Rebecca Grace said...

Oh my gosh -- where to begin?! I love the fresh mix of fabrics in the baby quilt. It's not bland pastels; it's exciting pastels with a little punch to them. Feels very modern and fresh. The star quilt you gifted to your friend is beautiful, and your applique is JAW-DROPPING! You did an amazing job with the machine applique, the mix of fabric prints that feels wild and festive yet so balanced. I just love it!

Julie said...

That stars quilt is beautiful, sorry you are losing a walking buddy though. I have that Wendy Williams quilt on my 'one day list' too. Looking forward to seeing more of yours.

Connie said...

I was blown away by the first quilt and then oh my, the beautiful work to follow as well. Gorgeous, I could look at quilts all day and never get tired . . . beautiful!

BUSINESS LOAN / PERSONAL LOAN OFFER said...

Do you need a financial help? Are you in any financial crisis or do you need funds to start up your own business? Do you need funds to settle your debt or pay off your bills or start a good business? Do you have a low credit score and you are finding it hard to obtain capital services from local banks and other financial institutes? Here is your chance to obtain a financial services from our company. We offer the following finance to individuals-

*Commercial finance
*Personal finance
*Business finance
*Construction finance
*Business finance And many More:
and many more at 3% interest rate;

Contact Us Via Email: ronniefinancehome247@gmail.com
Whats-App on +91 93118 56893
Email 3: apply@ronniefinance.ltd
http://ronniefinance.ltd/fastloan
Dr. Mark Thomas