Sunday, January 19, 2020

Happy New Year from New Zealand

My first post for 2020. 

The weather here today is fabulous, and very hot, for us anyway. At last our summer has arrived, but we are getting low on water, so have to start conserving. Catching buckets from the washing machine, and kitchen sink for the garden at least. You'd be surprised at how much waste water goes down the plughole in the kitchen sink!

I have finished mainly hand piecing, with a little machining, Jen Kingwells  'The Avenue' and now have it pin basted for big stitch quilting. 







 I started handpiecing this quilt by making and drawing around templates I made myself, but after making a few realised they were not very accurate, which bugged me no end.  I then sent for her templates ( they don't include them with the pattern) and found by cutting, then stitching the blocks were much more to my liking!
I tend to lose interest if the blocks aren't accurate, so this has been a while in the making.





I was hoping that this would fit on a lovely wooden hanger I have in our bedroom, so I can at least change the quilt that has been hanging there for about 13 years. 




I am tired of looking at the same thing. Well, The Avenue has turned out about 4" too wide, so back to the drawing board to make something smaller. 

I have so much trouble making small quilts! :-)

I have now made a start on machine appliqueing my kit from Wendy Williams called 'Dont Leaf Me!
Love the fabrics in the kit. 

Bye for now 






http://www.susannasquilts.blogspot.com

8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your colorful quilt! quite unique I have not seen this pattern before. Yes a lot of water goes down the drain. We had a very dry spell about 5 years ago I guess it was and had to conserve - said no water hoses out and I saved water in the house to water the plants

Mystic Quilter said...

Wonder how long before we do have rain! Very humid here in Howick, I think the air con. needs to be switched on in my sewing room.
Love your quilt Sue, I used to hate cutting my own templates!

Gretchen Weaver said...

That is so frustrating when the quilt doesn't turn to be the size we want. The quilt looks lovely. I've never seen the pattern either. Hope you get some rain soon!

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

It looks great Sue. I know what you mean about the templates. I'm just experiencing the difference between stamps and hand made templates - there's such a difference! I've got Don't Leaf Me too, but I'm going to leave it until Autumn to start. It feels like an Autumn quilt to me. Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

Luv 2 Sew Things said...

Love the colours and I can see why you would like to display it up on the wall ❤😍
Lovely!

Connie said...

Your new quilt is beautiful. I love the soft colors and think it would be so pretty in a bedroom. Very relaxing. I'm not brave enough to try circles, bravo to you :)

Raewyn said...

Hi Sue, I love The Avenues pattern - I bought it after seeing a finished version at Houston! Yours is gorgeous and what a shame about the size! It's my goal to start on it this year. Our place is drying out too - luckily we don't have to ration our water as we have a spring up in the hills that never seems to stop running...all our farm water comes from there and we top the house up from it when it doesn't rain.

FlourishingPalms said...

I sure like this quilt - The Avenue - Sue! Are you sure you can't make it fit the space where you'd thought to put it? I'd be reconfiguring the quilt rack, if I were you. Take down the rack that's there and just use a dowel rod in the back of The Avenue. It's just so pretty! I found it interesting that you tried to make your own templates. I have one of Jen's book, and wanted to make the Glimmer quilt. I made my own template and then attempted to machine piece it. No way! Nothing fit together. So, I'll have to buy the Glimmer acrylics and then hand-piece it - á la Wendy Williams - to get everything to fit together precisely. But I still want to make it someday because I can use so many different scraps to make different color combos, just as you did with The Avenue. It turned out beautifully! and I'm glad you're big stitch quilting it! And I'm sorry to hear about your water shortages. Good for you to be conserving as you can.