Friday, May 20, 2016

Umm not sure

 about my fabric choices for this block, which is from month 4 of my Sarah Fielke BOM, called 'Happy Days'. Also the next time I make a reverse needle turn applique block ( I think there is another one coming up) I must choose my fabric more carefully as far as the fraying ability of the fabric is concerned. The green wasn't too bad, but it could have been better. 
Also I thought the green on the gray background would look pretty funky, but I think looking at it now,  one of the fabrics should have been quieter.



The pieced block worked out fine.  Now to get my basket of flowers applique block basted and stitched.

I'm also participating in a Gwennie inspired QAL which is an original ( for me) based on the style of folk art quilts by Gwen Marsdon. This challenge is organized by Lori and friends. The first part of the challenge is on Humble Quilts.

 

Way back in the 1990's I collected as many old and new Lady's Circle Patchwork magazines as I could, and although over the years I have culled many mags. these are ones, that I just couldn't get rid of. After leafing through many, I found lots of articles written by Gwen, and her methods of applique,  patchwork and quilting are just do your own thing. She sometimes, but not very often included patterns, but described how to make your original work.

I have been quilting for approx. 25 years and this is only the 2nd or 3rd original quilt I have ( or will have ) made. 

Last but not least here is the loaf of bread just taken out of the oven. No sugar or oil. I make this alot and you only need 2 slices for lunch to last you until dinner time!  haha. Its very filling!




Thanks for dropping by
 http://www.susannasquilts.blogspot.com





5 comments:

Sheila said...

Hi Sue, 'skuse the absence of comment..on recent posts... I really like Sarah's quilt , but i love and wish i could follow along with Gwennies , i hope the posts will remain on Lorri's site until i can clear the backlog and get back on some sort of plan. I am really keen to see where you take your medallion, hugs from across the ditch

Anonymous said...

Love where your basket block is headed! Just realized I have no handle on my own! LOL

Every Stitch said...

I like your Hawaiian applique block fabric choices - it does look funky and a bit blended - which suits it well I think :)
Liking the look of that bread!

Barb said...

Hooray for making your own original work! You'll love the process and you'll be very proud of the result.
Your hawaiian block is funky and fun!

Mandiri888 said...

I was expecting something strong and this is softly understated.

slotmandiri888.com
slotmandiri888.com
slotmandiri888.com
slotmandiri888.com